A Royal Signals signal section had existed in Aden since 1927 when it took over the Aden Signal Section from the Royal Bombay Sappers and Miners.
That section evolved into 222 Signal Squadron in 1959. On 1 February 1949, the Aden Command Signal Troop became Aden Air Formation Signal Troop, and in September 1949 it became 65 Wing Troop, a distant part of 4 Air Formation Signal Regiment that was based in Egypt.
In 1958, HQ British Forces Arabian Peninsula (Independent) Signal Squadron was formed. On 1 September 1959, both units became 222 Signal Squadron (Air Formation), with the task of co-ordinating ground/air operations in Arabia and East Africa.
In 1964 it sent a detachment to Lusaka in Northern Rhodesia during the crisis over the future of Britain’s colonies in central Africa.
The Squadron moved to Sharjah in June 1967 as 222 Signal Squadron (Sharjah), although K Troop remained in Aden as part of 15th Signal Regiment. The Squadron disbanded at Sharjah on 30 June 1971.
In 1993 one of the two trunk node squadrons within 3 (UK) Division HQ & Signal Regiment at Picton Barracks, Bulford, was given the number 222. The squadron was organised into Aden, Masirah, Oman and Sharjah Troops.